Tuesday, March 30, 2010

"Transforming the Ordinary" at Tyler Junior College


During Spring Break (March 15-19) Patty and I drove to and installed at Tyler Junior College for my first solo show called: Transforming the Ordinary. We installed for two days on Monday and Tuesday. The gallery space is small, but very nice. While installing, students who passed by were very interested to learn what the material was and the form they were going to take shape in. Particularly the first piece I set up was the Staple Stalactite, which awed students who saw it. This is a suspended piece from the ceiling held together by over a million clicked out staples that naturally interlocked together. There is a total of four sculpture pieces in the show. The show began March 18 and runs until April 23. On Thursday March 18 I gave an artist talk to the students about my work in a PowerPoint Presentation. I showed them images of other works I have made while in graduate school and some artists who have influenced my work. It was a good turnout of students- probably around 30-40. Also three students in my 3D Design class came for bonus points! The opening went well although I ended up putting the toothbrush bristle piece on the mirror in place of the ballpoints because the tetrahedron fell apart. Overall, it was a wonderful experience setting up, speaking to students/teachers, and documenting the gallery space. (Patty is my expert photographer who took the pics along with the image of the show card). It was a fantastic experience I will cherish, and I hope it will have a lasting impression on the students and anybody who has the chance to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment