Thursday, July 29, 2010

MCC, Lovers Leap


On Wednesday July 28 I drove to Waco from Henderson to meet Mr. Glenn Downing at McLennan Community College. I met him in the morning and we spoke about the upcoming art appreciation classes I will be teaching this fall. He gave me a tour of the art building and later in his car showing me the beautiful and scenic Cameron park. We went to a lookout point called Lovers Leap based on a legend. That afternoon it rained as I was driving in Waco finding the apartments I researched the day before. I reached a decision on an apartment later in the afternoon that was top on my list.
MCC is a growing college with 8-10,000 students. I will be teaching three art appreciation courses with 50 students in each. I am looking forward to this exciting chance to teach this fall after graduating with an MFA degree in the spring. The college is near Cameron park, which is a very clean and peaceful setting along the Brazos River. A large Suspension bridge where only people can walk across is a historic mark. There are mountain bike trails amongst bamboo forests that will be challenging climbing uphill. In the early evening I went back to Lovers Leap to take some pictures before I headed home. I forsee making a lot of trips back there. On the way home, I saw a rainbow on my right hand side. On the left were dark rain clouds. I thought to myself seeing the rainbow about God's covenant to protect his people. I believe Waco is the place for me to begin a new chapter in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment