Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Encounter

Ok, this morning I had an encounter with a woman from the post office who caught me off guard by the way she acted (and by the way I acted) . I bought two postcard stamps and she handed them to me, one of which was peeled ready for me to apply to the postcard. I however did not think much about it and put the 60 cents on the counter area, which is where I made the mistake. She got very upset and said to me "Did you see how I handed you the stamps and you put the change down"? I was shocked at how quickly her mood changed and didn't really know what to say. She went slow giving me change back and put the change on the counter as I did. I think she wanted me to say something, but I couldn't get over how mad she was, and didn't feel like saying anything that would upset her more. Of course, I did not mean to be rude by putting the change down-it happened fast. I'm pretty sure she wasn't holding her hand out waiting for me. And I did want to apologize to her, but I was kind of frozen in speech. I learned my lesson to not place money on the counter, but rather hand it to the person. It's something so small, but makes a big difference in the eyes of some people.

No comments:

Post a Comment