Sunday, July 26, 2009

Brooklyn Bridge, Governors Island

Saturday I took the 8:55am train to Grand Central. Beautiful day to be outdoors for what I had planned! I arrived in Grand Central and got off to hop onto a subway for my first time to ride alone. I found the green route (asked a police officer how to find it), and it took me right in front of the Brooklyn Bridge when I walked up from underground. I walked the length of the bridge one way and then went back. They have a specially made walking/running/biking wooden walkway that is very safe. It is above the two roads that the traffic is on. A lot of people were excercising while others were busy taking pictures of the incredible views. You can see the Statue of Liberty and a lot of boats on the water. The Manhattan Bridge is also very close to the Brooklyn Bridge. I took quite a few pictures. The bridge is massive with miles of cable lines. I then headed down to Battery Park where I've been previously with my teacher. I walked around for a while trying to locate the Battery Maritime Building where the ferry for Governors Island departs from. Many people were standing in line for what I believe was the Statue of Liberty. The ferry for Governors Island leaves every 30 minutes to take people across. I didn't have to wait long at all to board up on a really big ferry boat because of the amount of people it holds. Landed at the Island about 1:45pm. I walked around the paved road on the edge and soaked in the views of Manhattan, the Statue of Liberty, bridges, boats, helicopters, birds, and waves. Based on the brochure I got for Governors Island it says that "it was one of the longest continuously active military posts in the United States....The history includes the experience of Confederate prisoners crowded into Castle Williams during the Civil War, and their 20th-century counterparts incarcerated in the old fort, which had become part of the army prison system". Lot of military history here including Fort Jay! I saw a film called Isle of the Dead at a theater. There are buildings to see art in and one really neat piece was in darkness with haze machines and light projectors that looked 3D. I saw the most bizarre and wackiest putt-putt golf courses I've ever seen. Very creative! One picture down below. The island is very peaceful and is the perfect getaway place if you want to escape the city. I rode back on the ferry at 6:00pm. The island is only open to the public Fri.-Sunday, and they close off the island in the evening. Got back to New Haven about 9:15pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment