Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Kurt Schwitters' Merz picture with Rainbow

Today at class we met and walked to the Yale Art Gallery to give a 5 minute presentation on an artist and piece we chose. I presented on Kurt Schwitters' Merz picture with Rainbow. After our talks we went back to the sculpture room. I worked a little on taking the gold stitch thread out of a pair of blue jeans for my third piece. I then worked on my final project......when me and Michael and Rachel were walking back from a store we passed by a telephone pole that had hundreds if not thousands of staples from flyers that were posted. I mentioned taking the staples out jokingly, but at the same time seriously. (I showed Michael my previous staple sculpture). He thought it was a brilliant idea. I found a pole on a sidewalk and street that didn't have any flyers posted to it, but was covered in thousands of staples. I started plucking away with some needlenose-like pliers and made good progress. I worked for about an hour and a half. What is unique about this piece is that it goes along with my past processes, but this time it is an actual perfomance out in public instead of privately in my studio. Most people casually just walked by and didn't say anything (probably thinking I had lost my mind). I did get about three responses though. One older man asked what I had done to deserve doing that. That was funny. Another guy asked "every single one"? I'm going to go back and finish the rest of the pole. I'm over halfway. I'm keeping the staples to make a sculpture out of them, and I am taking pictures before and after of the pole.

No comments:

Post a Comment